Friday, December 11, 2020

My Future Mother-In-Law

It's always best not to shoot at your future mother-in-law's children.

In 1970 we moved into our new home on highway 301. All of us were so proud: large bedrooms, new carpet, new furniture, and a new neighborhood.  There were woods near our house, too, and I couldn't wait to try out the new hunting grounds.

In my early days, I wasn't too concerned about getting permission to hunt, so as soon as I could, I grabbed my .22 rifle and headed for the new woods.

I was doing more exploring than hunting, but eventually I got after a few squirrels. I usually only needed a few shots per squirrel, but this one particular squirrel was jumping from tree to tree.  I was shooting as fast as I could pull the trigger.  Little did I know that I was about to meet my future mother-in-law.

That Theus Girl

Yvonne Theus and her two brothers, Fred and Charlie, were playing in their back yard when Yvonne said they heard bullets zinging past their heads (a tall tale for sure).  She ran into the house and told her Mom someone was shooting at them.  Sybil didn't waste any time, she rushed outside to stop the assault on her children.

I was just about to reload when I looked up and saw Sybil coming towards me.  I hadn't realized I was that close to her house or the highway.  She then proceed to severely chastise me for shooting a rifle on her property, and around her children.  I was cornered; the only thing I could do was start begging for mercy.  As soon as Sybil stopped to take a breath, I took off for home.

A few years later I started courting that young girl who ratted me out.  Sybil never did mention the shooting incident.  And to my great fortune, I married the love of my life, and ended up with the best in-laws and family a fellow could ever want.


Mike's Courting Tip:  Try to avoid shooting at your future wife; it might not always turn out as well.


Mike Griffin, an old Ludowici boy from way back.

PS - All of my stories are true, or mostly true or maybe just made up :)

No comments: